I never used to like beer. Like not at all. It was only about 3 years ago that I started drinking it, and only last summer that I developed a good appreciation for it. Now, I am hooked: I love trying new beers, embracing seasonals and travelling to try new beer and visit awesome breweries. On this section of my blog, I will talk about some of the breweries I have visited and some of my favourite beers. I have visited breweries all over Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario and I am always looking to expand my horizons, so please share your favourite breweries and beers with me!
Breweries I have visited:
- Parallel 49 – Vancouver, BC
- Coal Harbour – Vancouver, BC
- Strange Fellows – Vancouver, BC
- Tree Brewing – Kelowna, BC
- Lowertown Brewery – Ottawa, ON
- Muskoka Brewery – Bracebridge, ON
- Wild Rose Brewery – Calgary, AB
- Big Rock Brewery – Calgary, AB and Vancouver, BC
- Whistler Brewing Co – Whistler, BC
- Howe Sound Brewery – Squamish, BC
- Phillips Brewing – Victoria, BC
- Vancouver Island Brewery – Victoria, BC
- Tofino Brewery – Tofino, BC
- Granville Island Brewery – Vancouver, BC
- Arrowhead Brewery – Inveremere, BC
- Banff Ave Brewery – Banff, AB
- Grizzly Paw – Canmore, AB
- Blindman Brewing – Lacombe, AB
- Jasper Brewing – Jasper, AB
- Tool Shed Brewing – Calgary, AB
- Dandy Brewing Co – Calgary, AB
- Last Best – Calgary, AB
- And many more!
Bucket List Of Breweries To Visit
Last Best – Calgary, AB
- Troubled Monk – Red Deer, AB
- Great Lake Brewery – Toronto, ON
- Half Hitch Brewing – Cochrane, AB
he Dandy Brew Co – Calgary, AB
- Prairie Dog Brewery – Calgary, AB
- Village Brewery – Calgary, AB
A Look At Some Of My Favourite Breweries
Last fall I visited Tofino, out on Vancouver Island for the very first time. One incredibly soggy day found me in the Tofino Brewery, a modern space that feels like a bar in a buddys garage. But with much better beer. They are well known for their Seaweed Stout, a beer made with Bull Kelp.
Located in the industrial section of Whistler, this is a definite must-visit if you’re in town! I am a big fan of the Big Sky Uncommon Lager and the Forager is actually a great gluten free beer!
Squamish is one of my favourite places in BC. The town is just so beautiful, and there are opportunities for adventure every where you turn. The Howe Sound Brewery is a great place to visit, good food and the beer selection is always interesting!
Bet you thought Big Rock was just an Alberta thing. So did I until I stumbled across a Big Rock Brewery in Vancouver while looking for MEC. I was pleasantly surprised so I stopped for lunch and was delighted to discover that along with making good beer, they make a wicked BBQ chicken pizza.
Big Rocks Winter Ale is one of my all time favourite beers.
Granville is another one of my all time favourite breweries. They make so many incredible beers. One of my favourites from them is Hey Day, a beer that tastes exactly like banana bread. No joke. Their Lions’ Winter Ale is pretty fantastic, as is the Maple Shack Cream Ale. Granville Island itself is a neat place to wander around and explore. Its one of my favourite places in Vancouver for night photography.
I visited Invermere, BC for the first time a back at the beginning of March and got to check another brewery off of my Beer Bucket List. Arrowhead brewing is pretty much exactly what I expected based on their label artwork. The building was bright blue, the cozy assortment of seating inside included lime green couches and assorted wooden chairs and there was a pretty cool assortment of brewery swag for sale.